2018 SA Election Priorities
Prior to the next state election to be held in March 2018, R&CA has prepared a list of policy priorities on behalf of the hospitality sector in South Australia. The following document outlines key areas of focus for R&CA including red tape reduction, education and training and tourism funding. Specific policy recommendations include:
- Increase the payroll tax threshold to $750,00 from 1 July 2018 and $850,000 from 1 July 2019 with a view to further increases over time.
- Reintroduce the payroll tax exemption for apprentice and trainee wages.
- Continue to support the work of the Red Tape Reduction taskforce in reviewing the regulatory burden for cafés and restaurants.
- Expand the South Australian Energy Productivity Program to encompass gas.
- Implement policies which will encourage both skilled migrants and overseas students to settle in South Australia.
- Increase existing funding from the Jobs Accelerator Grant from the current $4,000 to $10,000.
- Support industrial relations reform encouraging hospitality businesses to trade and hire staff on weekends and public holidays.
- Commit to no further full or part-day public holidays.
- Rescind part-day public holidays on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
- Invest additional funding and resources in regional areas of South Australia, including a reduction in payroll tax for businesses with 85 per cent or more regional employees.
- Attract a larger share of major events and conventions through an increased, multi-year funding commitment to the state’s Events Bid Fund.
- Expand the mandate of the Adelaide Convention Bureau currently limited to bids for conventions with more than 500 delegates.
- Introduce a KPI comparing interstate ticket sales to validate the State Government’s investment in different events programs.
View the priorities document below: