New tax rates to apply to working holiday makers

R&CA is reminding members that from 1 January 2017, new tax rates apply to working holiday makers with visa sub-class 417 and 462. A withholding rate of 15 per cent applies to the first $37,000 of a working holiday maker’s income. Beyond that, normal foreign resident withholding rates apply. If you currently employ working holiday makers, you should’ve registered with the ATO by 31 January. If you did not register, you may have to withhold tax at 32.5 per cent for the first $37,000 of a working holiday maker’s income from 1 January 2017. Furthermore, penalties may apply for failing to register. If you aren’t currently employing backpackers but plan to later in the year, you need not have registered by the deadline. You just need to register when you employ them.

To register your business or for advice, visit the ATO’s website or call 13 28 666.

This great content is produced for members of the Restaurant & Catering Association. Find out about becoming a member here.

Restaurant & Catering magazine and its associated website is published by Engage Media. All material is protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without prior written permission. Explore how our content marketing agency can help grow your business at Engage Content or at

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *